YouTube is the go-to video sharing platform. Nearly everyone with an internet connection uses it.
YouTube have made it incredibly simple for content creators to upload videos. That’s actually a big reason for their success!
Whether you want to create and monetize a new cooking channel or simply want a place to keep your memorable videos, uploading to YouTube couldn’t be easier.
In this article I’ll be explaining how to upload videos to YouTube straight from your iPhone. There’s no need to transfer them to your computer and do it from there!
Recommended Method: Use The YouTube iOS App
The YouTube app makes it incredibly simple to upload and publish videos to your channel.
Here are the steps:
- Launch the YouTube app and sign in.
- Tap the video camera at the top of the app.
- Record a new video or select a video you already have on your phone.
- Add a title and description to the video
- (Optional) Edit your video:
- Add music (from YouTube’s free audio library) to your video
- Choose and add a visual filter to your video
- Trim your video (change the start and end times)
- Tap Upload.
From the beginning of 2020, you have to tell YouTube whether your channel’s videos are ‘made for kids’. To do this, visit studio.youtube.com or download the YouTube Studio app. This is in order to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Alternative Method: Use The Photos App
You can also upload videos to YouTube directly from your iPhone’s Photos app.
- Launch the Photos app
- Find and select the video you wish to upload
- Tap the share button.
- Tap the YouTube icon.
- If you are not already signed in to Google, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Add the video title and description. You can also add some video enhancements.
- Tap the upload button.
Why cant I upload videos longer than 15 minutes?
If your YouTube (Google) account is unverified, you will have several limitations. One of these limitations is that your videos may last no longer than 15 minutes.
To verify your YouTube account, you will need a phone number for SMS or phone call verification. Here are the steps:
- Visit youtube.com/verify
- Follow the on-screen instructions
How do I make sure videos aren’t uploaded using my cellular data?
Uploading large videos over cellular data is not recommended as it can eat through your allowance.
To make sure videos are only uploaded when you’re connected to Wi-Fi, follow these steps:
- Open the YouTube iOS app.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Tap Settings.
- In the ‘Uploads’ box, toggle ‘Upload over Wi-Fi only’.
What Are The Different Video Privacy Options?
Before uploading your video, you’ll be prompted to select its privacy setting. By default, it will be set to public.
Here are the three different privacy options:
- Public: Anyone can search for and view your video.
- Unlisted: Anyone with the video’s URL can watch the video. However, it will not appear in YouTube’s search results.
- Private: Only you can view the video.
How Do I Add My Own Music To The Video?
Although you can add a basic soundtrack or camera filter, the YouTube iOS app is not a fully fledged video editor. Rather, it’s just a tool to get a video from your phone to your YouTube channel.
To create more professional content, you will want to use a video editing app before uploading. There are plenty of them out there. Apple’s own iMovie and Splice are two solid video editors you may want to consider. If you’re really serious about taking mobile video editing to the next level, The DIY Video Editor is a great website to get you on the right track.
Where Can I Find My Uploads?
There are a number of ways to find your channel’s videos. The quickest way is to press the ‘Library’ button in the YouTube app and then tap on ‘My Videos’.
I’m a photographer and the chief editor of Capture Guide. After spending several years in parts of South America with my trusty old Nikon D7100, I’m now back home patiently waiting for borders to re-open.
1 thought on “How To Upload A Video To YouTube From iPhone (Simplest Method)”
This is a great guide! I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this for a while. Thanks for the help!